Buckeye Brewing Co.
Brewery History |
Management History | Pictures | Locations | Sources
- 1836: Toledo, Ohio founded
- 1838: Brewery near Front and Consaul is founded by Julius Kohler, a
German Brewmaster. The Brewery was an individually owned company, then later a
- 1853: Julius Kohler purchased the Bush and Champlain site.
- 1854: Julius Kohler shifted his brewery operations to Bush and
Champlain Streets. Here they used wood fires and the mashing was done by huge
paddles. The beer ingrediants could now be delivered by canal boat.
- 1858: Julius Kohler sold his operation to Andrew Stephan, a German
- Bef 1873: Stephan retires and the operation is taken over by Lehman
and Eckhardt Brothers Company.
- 1873-77: Owned by Eliz. Stephan and Company.
- 187?: Dennis Coghlin and John Jacobi create a 7-acre facility that
contained 600 barrels of beer.
- 1878: The brewery incorporates as Jacobi, Coghlin and Co. They
produce Buckeye Lager Beer.
- 1884: Richard F. Cummerow named bookkeeper for Buckeye.
- 1885: Buckeye Brewery is incorporated.
- 1886: New name is "Buckeye Brewing Co." Facility is located at 1501
- 1887: Jacobi and Coghlin complete the building of a red brick Brew
- 1890s: One of eight breweries in Toledo, OH.
- by 1895: A new bottling plant is built on Michigan and Bush.
- 1905: One of five breweries.
- 1914: Otto W. Cummerow became assistant secretary -treasurer.
- 1916: Beer is delivered by horse and wagon.
- 1919-1933: Prohibition. Buckeye Brewing Co. brews "near beer",
bottles soft drinks and utilizes their cold storage facility.
- 1922: Otto W. Cummerow named director of Buckeye and becomes
- Apr. 1933: The brewery begins brewing beer again after the Repeal Act
- June 15, 1933: The first brew is available for public
- 1933: New name is "The Buckeye Brewing Co."
- 1947: Col. William R. Martin named President of Buckeye.
- 1948: Buckeye spends $50,000 on fly ash catching equipment.
- by 1949: Two other local breweries go out of business and leaves
Buckeye the only brewery within 50 miles.
- May 1951: New product introduced at the Toledo Sports Arena called
- 1952: New labels are announced.
- 1953: Col. William R. Martin resigns as President of Buckeye in Sept.
because of differences of opinion in operating policies. Buckeye appoints Otto
Cummerow as acting general manager.
- 1954: William Coyle named Vice President of Buckeye, Ward L Handscom
named General Sales Manager and Russell E. Cunningham named Field Sales
- 1954: Market is expanded into Indiana in March. New smoke control
devices called the "Smoke Eater" are installed in May.
- 1955: Red Smith named General
- 1955: In Jan., Buckeye Brewery produces it's 10 millionth barrel of
beer in it's 100 years of continuous operation at the Bush and Champlain
location. The barrel was given to Otto W. Cummerow for his 70th
- 1955: In Mar., A stainless steel hop seperator with centifugal action
is installed. The hops are removed from the beer carefully, because if they are
bruised or broken, they will release bitterness into the beer. The hops are
gently dropped onto a conveyor belt from the seperator.
- 1955: In Sept., a new label is introduced. The Buckeye logo is ringed
in gold against a scarlet background and the antlered buck's head is on the
neck of the bottle. The older label was the antlered buck's head.
- 1956: In Nov., Red Smith is names
Executive Vice President and General Manager
- 1956: In Dec., Joe E. Gage is named auditor and office manager.
- 1957: In May, Buckeye more than doubles their production of canned
beer by purchasing new equipment that fills, seals and cartons the beer cans at
360 per minute. They also redesigned the can packaging.
- 1960: In Nov., Red Smith is elected
President and Albert Braun is elected Vice President of Buckeye. The board
authorizes 6 new metal fermentation tanks for $90,000.
- 1962: In Nov., Albert Braun is elected President of The Master
Brewers association, Detroit District and Board of Governers of the National
Association of Master Brewers of America. T.R. Klinksick is elected Vice
President of Finance.
- 1963: In April, Buckeye has their 125th Anniversary celebration.
- about 1965: Buckeye acquires "Gold Bond" beer from Cleveland Sandusky
- 1965: In April, Buckeye builds a new custom bottle washing machine
produced by George J. Meyer Mfr. Co. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The machine can
wash 640 bottles per minute. The expansion cost $165,000.
- 1966: In Feb., a new 8-head twist cap closure machine is installed
for $50,000. The machine will put aluminum twist off caps manufactured by
Owens-Illinois, Inc. on beer bottles.
- 1966: In April, Buckeye is sold to Peter Hand Brewing Co. of Chicago.
Peter Hand plans to brew "Meister Brau" and "Buckeye" in the Toledo facility.
They also plan to brew, bottle, and market Buckeye beer in the Chicago area.
Peter Hand Brewery also makes "Reserve" beer.
- 1967: In July, Red Smith appointed
Assistant President of Meister Brau. Red will be responsible for sports
promotions for Meister Brau. Meister Brau is to sponser all Chicago White Sox
games next year.
- 1967: In Oct, Meister Brau will market a line of diet foods to go
with "Lite" beer under the "Lite" trade name. These products include
dry-roasted peanuts, party dips and snacks. These products will be sold in
Toledo. In Nov., a new subsidiary is formed to develop and market these
- 1968: Buckeye is the second oldest brewery in America. A small outfit
in Nevada is the oldest.
- 1968: In Dec., Red Smith retires and
becomes a member of the board of directors of Meister Brau. Paul Shotola is
elected as Vice President and General Manager of Buckeye and Albert Braun is
elected Vice President and Assistant Manager of Buckeye.
- 1971: Buckeye aquires "Iroquis" beer from Iroquis Brewing Co. in
- 1972: Aug 31 is the last day of production at the Buckeye Brewery on
Bush/Michigan and Champlain Streets.
- 1973: In Jan., Metropolitan Distributing named distibutor of Miller
High Life, Miller Malt Liquor, Buckeye, Meister Brau, Lite and Milwaukee's Best
in the Toledo Area. Buckeye, Lite and Meister Brau are currently being produced
- 1974: In May, six of Buckeye Brewery buildings are demolished. Some
of the buildings and 5 acres of land are purchased by Libbey, div. of
Owens-Illinois. The rest of the buildings and land are purchased by Gibralter
Realty Co., from the federal bankruptay referee in Chicago, who is liquidating
all assets of Meister Brau. The buildings on Michigan Street side are being
renovated and rented. Sixty glass lined storage tanks, that have a 600 barrel
capacity, are sold to Roy Adams Co. in Cincinnati.
Back to top